AIADMK MLAs for special Assembly session over dam
Puducherry: All the five legislators of the
opposition AIADMK staged a dharna on Tuesday on the premises of the
territorial Assembly demanding a special session of the
Puducherry Assembly to adopt a resolution to urge the Centre
to prevail upon Kerala government to implement the Supreme
Court order in the Mullaperiyar dam dispute.
The Supreme Court had, in 2006, allowed Tamil Nadu to raise
the dam level to 142 ft from 136 ft.
The legislators, who were headed by A Anbalagan and
included Ohm Sakthi Segar, A Bhaskar, L Periyasamy and P
Purushothaman, sat on the footsteps leading to the Assembly
hall holding placards to urge a special Assembly session.
Speaker V Sabapathy invited the legislators to his chamber
and held discussions, following which Anbalagan told reporters
that the Speaker had said a decision would be taken in the
next two days as he had to go into niceties of the procedure
before a special session was convened.
"Puducherry has its own territorial features with the
outlying regions like Yanam and Mahe lying as its enclaves in
Andhra and Kerala," the Speaker told reporters, adding he
would discuss with Puducherry Chief Minister N Rangasamy in
the backdrop of the representation from the AIADMK.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends