AIADMK MLAs for special Assembly session over dam
Puducherry: All the five legislators of the
opposition AIADMK staged a dharna on Tuesday on the premises of the
territorial Assembly demanding a special session of the
Puducherry Assembly to adopt a resolution to urge the Centre
to prevail upon Kerala government to implement the Supreme
Court order in the Mullaperiyar dam dispute.
The Supreme Court had, in 2006, allowed Tamil Nadu to raise
the dam level to 142 ft from 136 ft.
The legislators, who were headed by A Anbalagan and
included Ohm Sakthi Segar, A Bhaskar, L Periyasamy and P
Purushothaman, sat on the footsteps leading to the Assembly
hall holding placards to urge a special Assembly session.
Speaker V Sabapathy invited the legislators to his chamber
and held discussions, following which Anbalagan told reporters
that the Speaker had said a decision would be taken in the
next two days as he had to go into niceties of the procedure
before a special session was convened.
"Puducherry has its own territorial features with the
outlying regions like Yanam and Mahe lying as its enclaves in
Andhra and Kerala," the Speaker told reporters, adding he
would discuss with Puducherry Chief Minister N Rangasamy in
the backdrop of the representation from the AIADMK.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!