AICC appoints Vaithilingam as Cong legislature win
Puducherry: Former Chief Minister V Vaithilingam will be the leader of the legislature wing of the Congress, the main opposition party in the 30 member territorial Assembly.
PCC president A V Subramanian told reporters here today he had received a communication in this regard from AICC General Secretary Ghulam Nabi Azad, in charge of party affairs here.
Congress has seven members and is the main opposition party in the Assembly which commences its budget session tomorrow.
Vaithilingam is now away in USA and will return in the next few days.
Vaithilingam (60) had headed the previous Congress Ministry between September 2008 till the last polls for the second term. He was Chief Minister between 1991 and 1996.
He had succeeded Rangasamy as Chief Minister in September 2008 after Rangasamy (the present Chief Minister and founder of AINRC) was unseated from power due to revolt from his ministerial colleagues then, including Vaithilingam.
The PCC leader said Vaithilingam had been provisionally appointed leader of the party`s legislative wing.
AICC Secretary K B Krishnamoorthy had camped here in June to enlist views of Congress legislators on who should be the party legislature leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!