AIFF confident of Messi playing in Kolkata
Kolkata: Quelling doubts over Argentine football star Lionel Messi` participation in a FIFA international friendly match here Sep 2, a top All India football Federation (AIFF) official on Saturday exuded confidence that the game will be held as scheduled.
"I don`t know why people are expressing doubt over the fate of the match. It`s nothing unusual that is happening. Everybody is keen to have this match and I cannot see any problem that exists so far as the match is concerned," said AIFF senior vice president Subrata Dutta at a football magazine launch here.
"The organisers along with all other entities concerned are working hard to ensure the people get to see the match as scheduled. The approval of FIFA for the match is on its way. The FIFA president (Sepp Blatter) has sent a message to the organisers wishing them luck. I do not see any reason why this match will not happen," Dutta said.
The national team of Argentina will take on the national team of Venezuela in a FIFA international friendly match at Kolkata`s Salt Lake Stadium Sep 2. Argentina will also play Nigeria Sept 6 in Dhaka.
On the issue of the AIFF`s team Indian Arrows playing in the Calcutta Football League (CFL), Dutta, who is also the vice president of the West Bengal apex body Indian Football Association (IFA), said: "In order to play, they will have to get affiliation from the IFA for which they have to apply before March 15. But I am not sure whether they want to play in the CFL.
Dutta launched a dedicated monthly football magazine `90 Minutes`. The inaugural issue, which will come out in July contains an interview of Dutch football star Giovanni Van Bronckhorst.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered