Ailing Roddick exits, Federer advances in Miami
Miami: Defending champion Andy Roddick made a shock early exit from the Sony Ericsson Open on Saturday, suffering a second round loss to Uruguayan Pablo Cuevas 6-4 7-6.
The world number eight, struggled physically and needing medical treatment during the second set, said that he was likely suffering from a lingering bronchial infection.
"I had a little trouble breathing out there today. I`ve had something for a little while but I`m going to have it checked out when I get home," the American told reporters.
Roddick was broken in the seventh game as 67th-ranked Cuevas took charge and although he battled on in a tight second set he looked sluggish and bowed out in the tiebreak with consecutive forehand errors.
"I`m just frustrated. You don`t like going out there with less than what you have got and I feel like I have been doing that a lot," he said.
"It`s not like I`m super mad because I had chances or lost or didn`t play. It`s just frustrating."
The win was the first for Cuevas against a top 10 ranked player and left the tournament without another drawcard after Britain`s Andy Murray was defeated by US qualifier Alex Bogomolov on Friday.
Third seed Roger Federer had no problems, enjoying a routine 6-3 6-3 win over Czech Radek Stepanek earlier Saturday.
The victory took Federer alongside Pete Sampras with 762 career wins, equal seventh overall. Jimmy Connors tops the list with 1,241 wins.
"It`s a funny stat," said the Swiss. "But it shows how long I have been around already, how much I`ve won all around the world and on all the different surfaces."
Federer, seeking his third Miami title, was ruthless, converting all three of his break point chances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India