Ailing Roddick exits, Federer advances in Miami
Miami: Defending champion Andy Roddick made a shock early exit from the Sony Ericsson Open on Saturday, suffering a second round loss to Uruguayan Pablo Cuevas 6-4 7-6.
The world number eight, struggled physically and needing medical treatment during the second set, said that he was likely suffering from a lingering bronchial infection.
"I had a little trouble breathing out there today. I`ve had something for a little while but I`m going to have it checked out when I get home," the American told reporters.
Roddick was broken in the seventh game as 67th-ranked Cuevas took charge and although he battled on in a tight second set he looked sluggish and bowed out in the tiebreak with consecutive forehand errors.
"I`m just frustrated. You don`t like going out there with less than what you have got and I feel like I have been doing that a lot," he said.
"It`s not like I`m super mad because I had chances or lost or didn`t play. It`s just frustrating."
The win was the first for Cuevas against a top 10 ranked player and left the tournament without another drawcard after Britain`s Andy Murray was defeated by US qualifier Alex Bogomolov on Friday.
Third seed Roger Federer had no problems, enjoying a routine 6-3 6-3 win over Czech Radek Stepanek earlier Saturday.
The victory took Federer alongside Pete Sampras with 762 career wins, equal seventh overall. Jimmy Connors tops the list with 1,241 wins.
"It`s a funny stat," said the Swiss. "But it shows how long I have been around already, how much I`ve won all around the world and on all the different surfaces."
Federer, seeking his third Miami title, was ruthless, converting all three of his break point chances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?