AINRC retains Indira Nagar constituency
Puducherry: The ruling All India NR Congress (AINRC) on Thursday retained its Indira Nagar seat in the crucial by-election with its candidate A Tamilselvane defeating his
nearest rival V Aroumougame of Congress by over 8,000 votes.
The outcome was crucial for the AINRC, which has a strength of 15 in the 30-member Assembly and is in power with the support of an Independent.
Officials said that Tamilselvane secured 15,053 votes against 7,007 votes polled by Congress nominee.
Puducherry Chief Minister and AINRC founder N Rangasamy had resigned one of the two seats he won, necessitating the by-election.
This was AINRC`s first electoral test after it unseated Congress in the April 13 elections.
Tamilselvane is the chief minister`s nephew and a political greenhorn.
The AIADMK, which had contested the April 13 Assembly polls in alliance with AINRC but subsequently parted ways, was pushed to the third spot.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know