Air traffic sees slump after double-digit growth for 4 yrs
New Delhi: After witnessing a double digit
increase in percentage terms in the last four years, aircraft
movement as well as passenger and freight traffic have
recorded a negative growth rate during the last fiscal,
Government said on Thursday.
"Aircraft movements, passenger and freight traffic
registered negative growth rate of -00.10, -06.80 and -01.00
per cent during 2008-09," Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel
said in a written reply to a query in Lok Sabha.
The minister also said that the foreign airlines had
increased their operations by 85 percent in the last five
years in the country.
"In the summer of 2004, foreign airlines operated 711
services every week to and from India, which was increased to
1,315 services per week by summer of 2009. The increase is
around 85 percent over the five years," Patel said while
replying to another question.
He added that the number of passengers had also risen
from 14 million to 27 million during the same period, which
was about 90 percent.
In reply to another query, Patel stated that the
National Aviation Company of India Limited (NACIL), formed
after the merger of Air India and Indian, had a total of
He stated that NACIL had received complaints regarding
irregularities in recruitment of trainee pilots in April 2009
but investigations did not find any of the allegations to be
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’