Aiyar critical of govt`s handling of Anna, Ramdev
Srinagar: Congress leader Mani Shankar
Aiyar on Saturday termed Anna Hazare and Baba Ramdev`s campaign
against corruption as a "circus in Jantar Mantar and Ramlila
Ground" but was critical of the way the UPA government handled
the recent events.
"I would have ignored Baba Ramdev, I would have also
ignored Anna Hazare. I would have told them you run your show,
your circus in Jantar Mantar and Ramlila Ground.
"But if you want to talk to Parliament of India,
please place your applications before the relevant standing
committee," Aiyar told reporters here on the sidelines of a
He said had he been the Prime Minister, he would never
have sent four ministers to meet Ramdev and would never have
"unleashed police on the sleeping people".
"What concerns me is that our reaction to the recent
events has not been what it should have been," the former
Union minister said.
The Congress Parliamentarian, however, questioned the
position of the Civil Society team, led by activist Hazare, to
be a part of the government committee for drafting the Lokpal bill.
"These decisions should have been taken by Parliament.
These cannot be taken by a committee of half-a-dozen ministers
and something called Team Anna Hazare," he said.
"What is the position of Team Hazare?" asked Aiyar.
To a question on noted lawyer Ram Jethmalani comparing
the situation in Jammu and Kashmir with that in Nazi Germany,
Aiyar said "he has a number of English words on his tongue but
very little brain in his head."
He described the BJP as a "weak and divided party which
has been rejected by the Hindus in whose name they claim to
"They have proved themselves to be incompetent... So
what they are resorting to is closing down Parliament," Aiyar
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information