Ajax hit five against Heerenveen to go top
Rotterdam: A dominant Ajax Amsterdam cruised to a 5-1 home win over Heerenveen to regain the lead in the Dutch league Sunday.
Striker Kolbeinn Sightorsson broke the deadlock eight minutes before the interval with his first goal for champions Ajax though seconds later Heerenveen`s Viktor Elm set up Bas Dost for the equaliser.
Toby Alderweireld restored the lead for the home side before the break with a 30-metre drive, while Derk Boerrigter, Miralem Sulejmani and Gregory van der Wiel completed the rout in the second half.
After two matches and two wins, Ajax are top on goal difference from arch rivals Feyenoord, who beat Roda JC Kerkrade 3-0 Saturday.
Twente Enschede, 2-0 winners against AZ Alkmaar Saturday, are third also with maximum points.
Heracles Almelo came from behind to beat NAC Breda 2-1 while Utrecht fought back for a 2-2 draw against Graafschap Doetinchem, who enjoyed a two-goal lead after goals from Rydell Poepon and Soufian El Hassnaoui.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends