Ajax hit five against Heerenveen to go top
Rotterdam: A dominant Ajax Amsterdam cruised to a 5-1 home win over Heerenveen to regain the lead in the Dutch league Sunday.
Striker Kolbeinn Sightorsson broke the deadlock eight minutes before the interval with his first goal for champions Ajax though seconds later Heerenveen`s Viktor Elm set up Bas Dost for the equaliser.
Toby Alderweireld restored the lead for the home side before the break with a 30-metre drive, while Derk Boerrigter, Miralem Sulejmani and Gregory van der Wiel completed the rout in the second half.
After two matches and two wins, Ajax are top on goal difference from arch rivals Feyenoord, who beat Roda JC Kerkrade 3-0 Saturday.
Twente Enschede, 2-0 winners against AZ Alkmaar Saturday, are third also with maximum points.
Heracles Almelo came from behind to beat NAC Breda 2-1 while Utrecht fought back for a 2-2 draw against Graafschap Doetinchem, who enjoyed a two-goal lead after goals from Rydell Poepon and Soufian El Hassnaoui.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Donald Trump calls for immediate closure of ''corrupt'' Clinton Foundation
- Hillary Clinton e-mail scandal: FBI discovers 15,000 more e-mails
- British police intercept drones flying drugs, cell phones into London prison
- My writing will never be the same, says author Perumal Murugan
- Japan's first lady makes first visit to Pearl Harbor