Akkunji not to be considered for Arjuna Award
New Delhi: Double Asian Games gold medallist Ashwini Akkunji`s name has been struck off from the list of nominees for this year`s Arjuna Award following her dope flunk, Sports Minister Ajay Maken said on Wednesday.
"The Committee on Arjuna Awards will decide on who would be conferred the award. But SAI will scrutinise the list and this year Ashwini Akkunji will not be considered as her `B` sample has also tested positive (for anabolic steroid)," Maken told a press conference.
Akkunji and seven other track and field athletes returned positive for anabolic steroids in the tests conducted in May and June by the IAAF and National Anti-Doping Agency in one the worst doping scandals of the country.
Maken said the dope scandal had affected the medal hopes of the country in the 2012 London Olympics.
"The dope scandal has affected us. We would have won medals from some of them. They were medal hopefuls," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days