Alcohol killing Indian men in Britain: Study
London: Indian men in Britain are more
susceptible to alcohol-related problems than white British
males, according to scientific study published on Wednesday.
The research found that deaths linked to alcohol were
disproportionately high among Indian men here, and exploded
the "myth" that Indian men did not drink much alcohol.
"The evidence is showing that for every 100 white British
males that are dying from alcohol-related disease in the UK
there are 160 Indian men in the UK dying," said the report`s
author, Dr Gurprit Pannu.
"That`s a massive increase. And on top of that what we
see now is an increased admission rate to hospital."
Scientists believe the reasons behind Indian men`s
susceptibility to the effects of alcohol are biological and
Dr Pannu said: "They have a different pattern of
drinking. Sikhs, for example, drink spirits more than lager.
"With spirits, the alcohol consumption is higher and you
are not going to get a full stomach like you do with lager."
The report urges the British government to provide more
"culturally specific" advice to help combat the problem.
Dr Pannu said it was a "myth" that Indian men were light
"Historically people think that people from the Indian
sub-continent drink less than people here in the UK but the
evidence put together showed that this just wasn`t true," he
The report, titled Alcohol Use In South Asians In The UK,
was written for the British Medical Journal.
It was conducted by Dr Pannu, a consultant psychiatrist
who works in Sussex, southeast England.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27