Alok to take on Aditya for National Snooker title
Chennai: Gaint-killer Alok Kumar and Aditya Mehta set up the title clash of 78th National Snooker championship after scoring contrasting semifinal wins.
In their respective semi-finals on Tuesday morning, Mumbai`s Aditya overwhelmed Karnataka`s IH Manudev 5-0 in straight frames while Alok of Punjab had to bring his experience into play to down a fighting Neeraj Kumar of Railways 5-3.
The final is to be held later on Tuesday and will be decided on best of 11 frames.
Aditya did not strain much to down a subdued Manudev, who was missing even sitters playing the first semi-final of his career.
"It is not every day that you can score a century but I was more focused on consistency and score points at every opportunity. I did not play all that well, but I am happy that I am in the final for the second time since 2008 when I lost to Pankaj Advani and am keen on winning the one title that I dearly want," Aditya said.
On the other hand, Alok Kumar, who has in the past won every title in cue-sport, was given a tough time by Neeraj Kumar, who won two successive frames with fluency.
Neeraj was trailing by just six points with 13 on board but missed the last pink on the table, which Alok Kumar sliced to left extreme pot to wrap up the match.
The results (semi-finals): Aditya Mehta (PSPB) bt IH Manudev (Kar) 5-0: 65-05, 67-12, 79-6, 70-34, 64-16; Alok Kumar (PSPB) bt Neeraj Kumar (Railways) 5-3: 34-86, 78-40, 75-10, 74-16, 56-50, 36-63, 55-63, 61-49.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Kejriwal, Mamata to attend Mother Teresa's canonization in Rome on Sept 4
- Flood situation worsens in Assam; Uttarakhand experiences intermittent rain
- Katrina Kaif JOKES about her actual thought behind 'Kala Chashma'—READ inside!
- Two women assaulted at Madhya Pradesh railway station for carrying beef
- Memorial for India's 'missile man': Naidu, Parrikar unveil statue of APJ Abdul Kalam in Rameswaram