Alonso in charge after Monaco Grand Prix practice
Monte Carlo: Fernando Alonso was the fastest man in the paddock on Thursday after topping the times during the second practice session for Sunday`s Monaco Grand prix.
The 29-year-old Ferrari driver, second quickest in the morning session, set a time of one minute 15.123 seconds at the Monte Carlo street circuit, over a tenth of a second quicker than his nearest rival and former team-mate Briton Lewis Hamilton of McLaren.
The Spaniard, who set the pace on the opening day at Monaco in 2010, looked strong in the morning session but narrowly lost out to German Sebastian Vettel in his high-flying Red Bull car after being held up by Mercedes driver German Nico Rosberg.
However, the double champion was in control for the duration of the afternoon, setting his fastest time on the supersoft Pirelli tyres midway through the session.
In spite of his performance, Alonso refused to get carried away and believes there is more to come from Red Bull, who wound up fifth and eighth fastest on Thursday.
"I think it`s only Friday [Thursday], so we need to see," said Alonso, "I think in five days things cannot change so much, so I expect Red Bull to be the favourite for qualifying and the race.
"But it`s true also that this is a very unique venue, so anything can happen. There is no room for mistakes so there is also this factor."
Second-fastest Hamilton, 25, champion in 2008, was marginally quicker than Rosberg, also 25, followed by Briton Jenson Button in the second McLaren who was fourth quickest.
Defending champion Vettel, said he was pleased with his performance despite finishing the day fifth fastest, but suggested that the track had not been as smooth as he had hoped.
"I think we had a good day so far." He said, "It was important to do a lot of laps here and I had a good feeling straight away. It is fun around here.”
"But it is a different track, very bumpy and very rough, and some places on the track they have resurfaced but I don`t think they have made it better. It is even worse. It is interesting."
Brazilian Felipe Massa was sixth in the second Ferrari followed by Seven-time champion German Michael Schumacher in the second Mercedes - over a second slower than his team-mate, as was Australian Mark Webber of Red Bull who was eighth fastest.
Germans Adrian Sutil of Force India and Nick Heidfeld of Renault were ninth and tenth fastest respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in