Alonso shuts out controversy and speculation
Abu Dhabi : Ferrari`s Formula One championship leader Fernando Alonso gave short shrift on Thursday to suggestions that he could end up with a tainted title this weekend.
The Spaniard also shrugged his shoulders to the possibility of losing out on a third crown on Sunday to the sort of team tactics that helped him to an eight-point lead over Red Bull`s Mark Webber.
Appearing at a packed news conference with the rivals who have made the Abu Dhabi season-ender an unprecedented four-way battle for the championship, Alonso refused to fret about the past or future.
Gifted a win in Germany in July when Brazilian team mate Felipe Massa was ordered by Ferrari to let him overtake and secure an extra seven points, Alonso was asked about the worth of a title won by less than that amount.
"Winning by seven, one or 25 (points) is not the most important thing in my mind right now," he said.
The 29-year-old, who won his previous championships with Renault and would be the youngest triple champion, will take the title if he finishes first or second at Yas Marina.
Should he finish third and behind the two Red Bulls, the Spaniard will also be champion if Sebastian Vettel wins ahead of Australian Webber.
The expectation is that Vettel would allow Webber victory to take the title in such circumstances, although the German youngster again teased reporters when asked what he would do.
Alonso said he would lose no sleep over what might or might not happen.
"I will not use one second of my energy this weekend thinking what is going to happen on Sunday afternoon," he told reporters.
"There is much to do on Friday and Saturday, preparing for the weekend in the right way.
"Our only picture at this moment is to win the race or finish second. That`s the target, and that`s what I think we can achieve this weekend."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM