Amandeep enters Asian Boxing Championships final
Incheon: Commonwealth Games bronze-medallist Amandeep Singh (49kg) was the lone Indian boxer to reach the finals of the Asian Championships with a tough win over Asylbek Nazaraliev of Kyrgyzstan in the semifinals on Thursday.
The Punjab pugilist, who won a gold at the Commonwealth Championships last year, won 13-12 in a nail-biting bout to
set up a summit clash with Shin Jong Hun -- a World
"I have had tough bouts all through and this one was no
different. He was a counter-boxer and I took a defensive
approach to fight it out with him. It was a hard slog but I am
very happy," Amandeep said.
However, there was disappointment for India elsewhere as
Balwinder Beniwal (64kg) and Commonwealth Games gold-medallist
Paramjeet Samota lost in the semifinals to settle for bronze
While Commonwealth Youth Games gold-medallist Balwinder
lost to Munkherdene Vranchimeg of Mangolia, Samota went down
to Xuanxuan Wang of China after being warned twice in the
In the previous edition, India had won a gold -- through
Commonwealth Games gold-medallist Suranjoy Singh -- with a
couple of silver and four bronze medals.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan