Amarinder Singh aims for hat-trick
Patiala: Popularly known as `Maharaja
Saheb`, Punjab Congress chief Amarinder Singh is aiming for a
hat-trick from this constituency in the January 30 state
Two-time MLA and a descendant of Patiala royal family,
Amarinder is pitted against Surjit Singh Kohli of the
Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) whom he drubbed in the 2007
As the former Chief Minister is busy campaigning for his
party candidates at other places, the task of garnering
support for him has been taken up by his family members led by
his MP wife Preneet Kaur and daughter Jai Inder Kaur.
"I may not be able to spend much time in Patiala assembly
segment as I have to go to every assembly segment across
Punjab to campaign for party candidates," Amarinder says.
"Each resident and every voter in Patiala will be
campaigning for me," he adds.
On the other hand, Kohli, a transporter, alleges that
Amarinder is "inaccessible" and his wife has been running the
show for the past 10 years.
The SAD candidate says he has got good response from the
people of Patiala and they "will not fulfil the dream of
Maharaja Saheb of accomplishing the hat-trick".
In 2002, Amarinder won the Patiala town seat by a margin
of more than 33,000 votes humbling Sarup Singh Sehgal of SAD.
In 2007, he retained the seat by defeating Kohli by a
huge margin of 32,750 votes.
Patiala is said to be a Congress stronghold with the
party capturing the seat five times in the last seven Assembly
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre