American voters used social media to pitch in for Obama, Romney
Washington: Several users on social networking sites Facebook and Twitter had used social media to encourage or tell others to vote for President Barack Obama or Republican candidate Mitt Romney in the 2012 US presidential elections, a new study has revealed.
According to a study by the Pew Internet and American Life Project, nearly a quarter of registered voters told their Facebook friends and Twitter followers in the last month who they were planning to vote for on Election Day.
“More people are on Facebook and Twitter, more people are using them and building them into the rhythms of their lives every day. It’s safe to say that this was a much smaller number even in 2010 and certainly in 2008,” Politico quoted Lee Rainie, the project’s director, as saying.
According to the report, 20 percent of voters said they had encouraged others to vote by posting on a social network site, which is significantly more than the percentage of respondents who urged others to vote via text message, 10 percent, or email, 12 percent.
Raine said that an increase in social media users getting vocal about politics may be subject to somewhat of a snowball effect, the report noted.
“Once they see it as sort of a common practice in their network, at some point it becomes something that they are feeling embarrassed not to share. It becomes a network expectation,” he said.
The study was conducted between Nov. 1 and Nov. 4 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.6 percentage points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks
- Biopic should be made on PT Usha, says Sonam Kapoor