Amid Egypt crisis, India worries over oil bill
Kandi: India`s oil import bill will be a matter of concern if oil prices shoot up further, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee said Sunday.
"At this point of time, the trade balance and the current account deficit are manageable. But going forward, we don`t know how (they) will pan out," he said on the sidelines of a programme here in Murshidabad district in West Bengal.
"If oil prices increase further, then both the current account deficit and the trade balance will be a matter of concern," he told reporters.
Experts have warned that the unrest in Egypt will push up oil prices.
Mukherjee spoke after inaugurating online the 5,000th rural branch of State Bank of India at the Sagardighi railway station, about 30 km from here.
He also inaugurated the 13,333rd branch of SBI and the 22,222nd ATM of the State Bank group here.
The minister said though exports have gone up, imports had risen significantly.
He said imports of capital goods and raw materials were increasing. "That will increase the production and manufacturing sector."
"I don`t know to what extent we can control petro-product use. (Due to the hike in oil prices), the import bill will increase and the trade deficit will be widened," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy