Amitabh is my inspiration: Rajinikanth
Mumbai: He is god down south but for actor Rajinikanth, screen legend Amitabh Bachchan is a “role model”, “inspiration” and “guru“.
The music launch of the country’s costliest film ‘Robot’ saw two icons of the Indian film industry — Amitabh Bachchan and Rajinikanth — share the dais after over a decade.
The two shared screen space in ‘Hum’ in the early 90s and three years ago Rajinikanth had flown down to Mumbai for a private screening of his ‘Sivaji -- The Boss’ for the Bollywood megastar.
On the occasion, Rajinikanth said, “He (Amitabh) is my inspiration, role model and guru. I have always valued his advice while taking important decisions.”
“We have done films like ‘Andha Kanoon’, ‘Giraftar’, ’Hum’, and I can never forget the love, affection and care he showered on me,” he added.
Responding to Rajini’s comments, Bachchan said the southern superstar was a true son-of-the-soil.
“I had a long association with Rajini and value him as a friend and colleague. He is truly a son—of—the soil who is admired and loved by every Indian,” he said.
“I admire him because of his tender heart and humility. He is so grounded despite the adulation and fame he has enjoyed throughout his career. Given his humble beginning, Rajini is an example of every Indian. His simplicity, honesty, and down—to—the—earth nature has always impressed me,” he added.
The high profile event in Mumbai last night saw the presence of the entire Bachchan clan, including Jaya and Abhishek, along with several other filmmakers.
Director Shankar said his latest venture should not be seen as a Tamil, Telugu or Hindi film, but as an Indian movie as it brings together creative talent from all parts of the country as well as Hollywood.
‘Robot’ is an attempt from India to create a larger than life experience as seen in Hollywood films like ‘2012’, ’Terminator’ and ‘Spiderman’, he said.
“The story is about what happens when the robot mixes with human beings because he has learnt every thing except a man’s lies, jealousy, and betrayal,” Shankar said.
Producer Kalanithi Maran said the subject of ‘Robot’ was close to Shankar’s heart and Rajinikanth had put his heart and soul into the project.
Music director A. R. Rahman said Robot was a sci-fi movie with organic integration to Indian culture.
“A Tamil movie which will be liked by Hindi audience as we have worked hard on it,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy