Anand beats 39 chess wizards in ICM
Hyderabad: Unfazed by the controversy surrounding his nationality, World champion Vishawanath Anand defeated 39 opponents in a game of simultaneous chess in the International Congress of Mathematicians.
Anand, who played simultaneous chess against 35 mathematicians and five nominees selected by Infosys at the ongoing International Congress of Mathematicians, remained calm through out his game.
Anand moved from one opponent to another, making quick moves. The space of his game was so fast that six of his opponents lost the game in less than 20 moves, while 33 of them resigned gradually over a period of three hour and 15 minutes.
Just one 14-year-old chess wizard named T Srikar could manage a draw against the four-time World Champion.
Anand also gave away autographs to his fans, during the play.
Anand is embroiled in a controversy over his citizenship after the University of Hyderabad had delayed its plan to confer an honorary doctorate on him following questions raised by the Union Human Resourses Development Ministry over the chess wizard`s nationality.
Although he holds an Indian passport, the HRD Ministry raised questions on Anand`s nationality because he lives in Spain.
Upset with the HRD`s ministry`s view on his nationality, Anand today declined to accept the honour at least for now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!