Anand crushes Wang Hao in Tata chess tourney
Wijk Aan Zee: World
Champion Viswanathan Anand crashed through the defenses of
Wang Hao of China in the fourth round of the 73rd Tata Steel
Chess tournament here on Tuesday.
With his second win in the championship, Anand took his
tally to three points out of a possible four and is likely to
be among leaders after other games of this 14-players round
robin tournament end.
The day also witnessed a quick-fire victory by Levon
Aronian of Armenia who outwitted Ian Nepomniachtchi of Russia
with white pieces. Apparently it was a brilliant opening idea
in the Grunfeld Indian defense that gave Aronian his first win
in the tournament after three draws.
Anand was class apart from Wang Hao in one of the
extensively analysed variations in the Nimzo Indian defense.
Playing black, Wang Hao faced a piece sacrifice from the
Indian ace for just a pawn in the early middle game but
consistent pressure ensued.
Anand cast the dye in his favour by creating threats on
the queen side and central files that forced Wang Hao to part
with two pieces for a rook. There were no troubles thereafter
for Anand as his menacing pawns along with the Bishop pair
created irresistible threats. Wang Hao resigned in just 33
"This was part of preparation for the World Championship
match against Kramnik at Bonn," said Anand after the game.
"We (his team) had looked at this piece sacrifice finding
it to be very pleasant for white and had moved on to the next
problem. On the board today I liked it even more," he added.
Earlier in the day, Anand was held to a draw by local
hopeful Erwin L`Ami in the third round of Group `A`.
Aronian won after a queen sacrifice in the middle game
that gave him a handful of pieces. Nepomniachtchi could not
really put up best resistance on under pressure and collapsed
to lend himself in a lost position. It was all over in a mere
The remaining five games of the category-20 super
tournament were still in progress. The event is being played
under Classical time control with 100 minutes at the start for
first 40 moves, 50 minutes for next 20 and finally 15 minutes
to end the game with a 30 seconds increment after every move
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks