Anand crushes Wang Hao in Tata chess tourney
Wijk Aan Zee: World
Champion Viswanathan Anand crashed through the defenses of
Wang Hao of China in the fourth round of the 73rd Tata Steel
Chess tournament here on Tuesday.
With his second win in the championship, Anand took his
tally to three points out of a possible four and is likely to
be among leaders after other games of this 14-players round
robin tournament end.
The day also witnessed a quick-fire victory by Levon
Aronian of Armenia who outwitted Ian Nepomniachtchi of Russia
with white pieces. Apparently it was a brilliant opening idea
in the Grunfeld Indian defense that gave Aronian his first win
in the tournament after three draws.
Anand was class apart from Wang Hao in one of the
extensively analysed variations in the Nimzo Indian defense.
Playing black, Wang Hao faced a piece sacrifice from the
Indian ace for just a pawn in the early middle game but
consistent pressure ensued.
Anand cast the dye in his favour by creating threats on
the queen side and central files that forced Wang Hao to part
with two pieces for a rook. There were no troubles thereafter
for Anand as his menacing pawns along with the Bishop pair
created irresistible threats. Wang Hao resigned in just 33
"This was part of preparation for the World Championship
match against Kramnik at Bonn," said Anand after the game.
"We (his team) had looked at this piece sacrifice finding
it to be very pleasant for white and had moved on to the next
problem. On the board today I liked it even more," he added.
Earlier in the day, Anand was held to a draw by local
hopeful Erwin L`Ami in the third round of Group `A`.
Aronian won after a queen sacrifice in the middle game
that gave him a handful of pieces. Nepomniachtchi could not
really put up best resistance on under pressure and collapsed
to lend himself in a lost position. It was all over in a mere
The remaining five games of the category-20 super
tournament were still in progress. The event is being played
under Classical time control with 100 minutes at the start for
first 40 moves, 50 minutes for next 20 and finally 15 minutes
to end the game with a 30 seconds increment after every move
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'