Anand held by L`Ami; Giri shocks Carlsen
Wijk Aan Zee: World Champion Viswanathan Anand was held to a draw by local hopeful Erwin L`Ami in the third round of the `A` group of 73rd Tata Steel Chess tournament.
With his second successive draw, Anand took his tally to two points out of a possible three and will now play with white against Wang Hao of China ahead of the first rest in the category-20 round robin tournament between 14 players.
In the shocker of the day, World No 1 Magnus Carlsen of Norway blundered and went down to talented Anish Giri of Holland in a mere 22 moves. The victory with black pieces was Anish`s best till date and this was the first time that the Nepalese origin 16-year old scalped a 2800+ rated player.
Anand played the black side of a Bogo Indian defence, he was in a spot of bother in the middle game as L`Ami had better placed pieces ready to cause the damage on the king side. It took a lot of effort for the Indian to find the counter-play and at the same time kept L`Ami`s pieces in check.
The game took a decisive turn when L`Ami broke the center and Anand countered it with a timely pawn sacrifice ensuring exchanges that led to a level queen and minor piece endgame. The peace was signed on move 34.
Anish Giri was in his element in the biggest game of his young career. Going for the Grunfeld defense, the Dutchman found Carlsen on the wrong foot as he went for lesser known paths early in the opening. Giri eventually capitalised on an optical blunder winning a piece and Carlsen resigned immediately. "It was a funny game, I did not expect him to go down like this," said Giri after the game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price