Ancient burial sites
Beirut: A team of archaeologists has recently unearthed 13 burial sites, temples and personal items dating to the Canaanite period in Sidon in Lebanon, which are missing links in the city’s historic legacy.
“We uncovered the biggest number of ruins this year and this helped complete the cycle of historic periods discovered in the site,” head of the British Museum delegation Dr Claude Doumit Serhal, told The Daily Star.
“What is remarkable about this week’s discovery is that it reveals the religious rituals and lifestyle during the Canaanite period,” said Serhal. “The site, unlike any other in Lebanon, showed the clear succession of historic periods in Sidon,” she added.
Similar archaeological discoveries were made in Jbeil 50 years ago and in Wadi Arqa in the northern town of Akkar but never in such a “large historic amount,” the delegation said.
The discoveries included a 48-meter-long temple filled with bronze pieces, knives and rings as well as pottery and stone statues used by ancient people to repel evil spirits.
The site also contained temples dating back to 3000 BC and 1000 BC along with nine rooms and cereal stocks.
“We found new pieces in each room this year,” said Serhal, adding that the discoveries show the temple to be from the Canaanite period between 1800 BC and 1500 BC.
Around 108 burial sites from 1900 BC and 15000 BC were also discovered. They contained several types of burnt cereals and animal corps and revealed the religious and funerary rituals of that period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra