Angry Bayern blame Dutch as Robben injured
Zurich: Angry Bayern Munich accused the Netherlands of allowing Arjen Robben to play at the World Cup with an injury after announcing the striker would miss the first two months of the Bundesliga season on Tuesday.
Bayern said on their web site (www.fcbayern.t-home.de) that a routine pre-season exam had shown that Robben had a torn muscle in his left thigh, adding he had suffered the injury shortly before the World Cup.
Robben played throughout the World Cup campaign, helping the Dutch reach the final where they lost 1-0 to Spain after extra-time.
"This is a severe injury," club doctor Hans-Wilhelm Mueller-Wohlfahrt told the club`s web site (www.fcbayern.t-home.de).
"I find it irresponsible that this injury has not been precisely diagnosed and that they have let Arjen play."
Robben was quoted as saying: "It`s a shock for me to get a diagnosis like this on my return. I`m very disappointed, this absence is bitter for me and for the time."
Club president Karl-Heinz Rummenigge was also upset.
"Naturally, Bayern Munich are angry," he said. "Once again, we as a club must pay the bill after a player has been severely injured with his national team."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India