Angry Tabarez denies Uruguay were handed semi place
Cape Town: Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez has reacted angrily to suggestions that his team do not deserve their World Cup semi-final place after Luis Suarez`s handball in their quarter-final against Ghana.
"This question is disgraceful," he replied after being asked during a news conference if Uruguay were embarrassed about the incident in which Suarez handled on the line and stopped a certain Ghana winner in the last minute of extra-time.
Suarez was sent off but Ghana missed their penalty on Friday, the match finished 1-1 and Uruguay won the shootout.
"We are proud of what we have achieved in this World Cup and the way we have overcome the difficulties we have faced, not just because of the way we have played but also because of our behaviour," said Tabarez.
"Uruguay played for more than two games without receiving a yellow card so don`t come to me and say that we`re a team who cheat, I don`t accept that at any time."
Tabarez said that Ghana were awarded a penalty and Suarez sent off, as stipulated by the rules
"They are speculating about something which can happen and has happened in other matches and which is covered by the rules," he said.
"In the 1990 World Cup, we were victims of a similar incident in a match against Spain, and on that occasion the player was not even sent off."
"What I find disgraceful is the scandal that has been created around this incident by some journalists, in particular English ones -- I don`t know why."
Tabarez also refused to criticise Netherlands forward Arjen Robben for his alleged theatricals.
"Like any other player, he gets knocked and he has cheekiness. I wouldn`t been as drastic to say that what he does is disgraceful or is cheating," he said.
"That`s what we have the referee for, he`s the only one who can interpret the player`s intentions, and decide the consequences."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo