Anna fast not the right way: NCP
Patna: NCP, a component of UPA, Saturday said
the government has committed a "mistake" by accepting
anti-corruption activist Anna Hazare`s demands.
"Corruption is undoubtedly a burning issue facing the
country ... but I differ with Anna Hazare as the way adopted
by the Gandhian leader has not been the right way.
> "The way Anna Hazare got his demand conceded I want to
be clear is not correct ... and the government has committed a
mistake by accepting his demands," NCP General Secretary
Tariq Anwar said.
NCP chief and union minister Sharad Pawar had resigned
from the Group of Ministers on corruption after Hazare had
launched the fast at the Jantar Mantar in Delhi.
The Centre, Anwar said, has taken steps at all levels to
weed out corruption and talks should have been held with it.
"Every citizen of the country has the democratic right to
exert pressure on the Centre for conceding one`s demand ...
But not the kind of pressure Hazare thrust upon the Centre."
He said "there was a constitution and law in the country
... There are several other methods through which corruption
can be fought effectively" and if such kind of pressure was
allowed to continue, people would take to immolation if their
respective demands are not met.
Hazare, Anwar alleged, has sent a message to the world
through his movement that there is rampant corruption in India
"though the picture is different. The country is marching
ahead and has emerged as the second largest country in the
world after China in economic uplift".
"We all want that the Lokpal Bill should be introduced
and passed ... It should infact have come much before," he
said adding the JP movement in the 1970s was also against
The movement had led to the installation of a Janata
Party government but no Lokpal Bill was brought or framed at
that time. Several other coalition governments came to power
after the J P movement but none of them had succeeded in
introducing or getting the Lokpal Bill passed, Anwar said.
Hazare should not be compared with Mahatma Gandhi who had
never fought for inclusion of his name in a committee.
Hazare, on the other hand, was `restless` to become the
chairman of the drafting committee the gazette notification
for which was issued by the Centre this morning, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?