Anna Hazare crusade finds response in Shillong
Shillong: Anna Hazare`s campaign found
response in Meghalaya as teachers and students of the premier
North Eastern Hill University (NEHU) premier organised a
demonstration in support of a strong Lokpal bill and RTI
activists planned a rally for Saturday.
Over two dozen NEHU faculty members accompanied by
students displayed placards against corruption.
"We are convinced that the entire state machinery of
India is steeped in corruption. The exposure of innumerable
scams and failure of the political class to punish the
offenders as seen in the pathetic stories of Commonwealth
Games and 2G Spectrum scam signal that the ordinary citizen
must take the initiative to ensure probity in public life," a
resolution at the end of the demonstration signed by the
A strong Lokpal bill was the only answer and "the
government and civil society together (should) arrive at a
good draft of the bill.... Anna Hazare led protests has given
a new momentum to the fight against corruption. We strongly
support Anna", the resolution said.
NEHU faculty member RP Bajpaye said universities
should also be brought under the ambit of the Lokpal bill.
Prof AK Barua alleged "even in the private sector no
work is done without bribe. The menace has to be rooted out
from the grass-root level."
Another professor said "teachers have failed as they
could not teach the students to fight against corruption."
The NEHU faculty was planning to collect funds to
support Hazare’s campaign, and university team was likely to
visit New Delhi to express solidarity with him.
Meanwhile, the Meghalaya Right to Information Movement
will be holding a rally in front of the secretariat tomorrow.
RTI activist Tarun Bhatia said "People talk about
corruption in house and in cafeterias, but it is time they
should come out in the open."
Meanwhile, the Art of Living Foundation organised a
campaign at Police Bazar in the heart of Shillong taking
signature of the public in a banner `Vote Against Corruption`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH