Apple unveils revolutionary iPad tablet
San Francisco: Apple CEO Steve Jobs has unveiled the iPad, a tablet-style computer that resembles the iPhone, but larger.
"It`s so much more intimate than a laptop and so much more capable than a smart phone," Jobs said Wednesday at the device`s highly anticipated debut in San Francisco.
Jobs demonstrated how the iPad is used for surfing the Web with Apple`s Safari browser. He typed an e-mail using an on-screen keyboard and flipped through photo albums by flicking his finger across the screen.
The CEO says the iPad will also be better for reading books, playing games and watching video than either a laptop or a smart phone.
No price or information on availability was immediately announced.
Now Apple will have to convince consumers, many of whom already have Internet-connected phones, computers and TVs, that that`s the case. Tablet computers have existed for a decade, with little success.
Shares in Apple fell $4.65, or 2.3 percent, to $201.29 in afternoon trading Wednesday. The Cupertino, Calif.-based company`s shares have more than doubled over the past year, partly on anticipation of the tablet computer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened