Apple`s Jobs makes first appearance since medical leave
San Francisco: Apple chief executive Steve Jobs made his first public appearance on Wednesday since returning to work in June from a nearly six-month medical leave of absence.
The 54-year-old Jobs received a standing ovation from a packed auditorium as he appeared on stage at the start of a 15-minute appearance at an Apple media event here.
"I`m very happy to be here today with you all," said Jobs, who was wearing his trademark long-sleeved black shirt, jeans and sneakers and did not appear noticeably thinner than during his last public appearance in October 2008.
"About five months ago I had a liver transplant," he said. "So I now have the liver of a mid-20s person who died in a car crash and was generous enough to donate their organs."
"I hope all of us can be as generous and elect to be organ donors," said Jobs, the visionary behind the wildly successful Macintosh computer, the iPod and iPhone.
Jobs announced plans for iTunes 9, the latest version of Apple`s online music store, and said Apple would be introducing 30,000 ringtones for sale through the iPhone store at 1.29 dollars each.
Jobs said iTunes 9 would include a feature called "Genius" which finds other songs for a user based on their song selections.
"It`s like a great DJ or a great radio station," he said.
Jobs also said the redesigned iTunes store would feature iTunes LPs with liner notes, photos and other background information like on record albums of the past.
"Some of us are old enough here that we actually bought LPs," he said. "It was great, you not only got great music, but you got great photography and great liner notes."
He said Apple had sold 30 million iPhones so far.
"During the last year one of the reasons for that has been the remarkable App Store," Jobs said, adding that more than 1.8 billion applications had been downloaded so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe