Archers continue poor show at World Cup
New Delhi: Jhano Hansdah and Bheigyabati Chanu were the only Indians to manage wins on yet another miserable day for the country`s archers at the World Cup (Stage I) in Porec, Croatia.
Indian compound archers failed to lift the sagging spirits of the 21-member contingent with a trite display in the elimination round.
Only veterans Jhano and Chanu won matches on a day when everybody else lost in the first round of action.
Former national champion Jhano eased into the pre-quarterfinals where she was beaten by fourth seed American Erika Anschutz 140-144 points.
Bheigyabati won her first round against Erika Anear of Australia but fell to 10th seed Marcella Tonioli of Italy, 134-139, in the next round.
National champion Namita Yadav, ranked 19, failed to go past 46th-ranked Anne Lantee of Finland, losing 128-136 in the second round after getting a bye in the first round.
Gagandeep Kaur, occupying the 26th position after the ranking round, got a first round bye but was stopped by 39th placed Viktoria Balzhanova of Russia, 132-136.
The men compound archers were even worse.
Reigning Asian champion, Isaiah Rajender Sanam, ranked 60th, lost to 53rd-ranked Swiss Gregoire Fumeaux by two points, 137-139.
Commonwealth Games team gold medallists, C Srither, Ch. Jignas and Ritul Chatterjee, all stumbled in the first round. Srither lost to much lower-ranked Croat Vladimir Bartol 141-143, Jignas fell to Italian Pieto Greco 138-139 and Chatterjee was upstaged by 42nd placed Belgian Sam Kyritsoglou 138-142.
Even in the newly introduced mixed team events, the Indians failed to make a mark.
Having qualified as fourth seeds, recurve archers Rahul Banerjee and Deepika Kumari were defeated by 13th-ranked Polish team of Piotr Piatek and Justyna Mospinek 137-140 in the first round of the 16-team knockout competition.
Srither and Namita too went out in the opening round losing to the Iranian pair of Amir Kazenpoor and Parsamehr Mahtab 143-145.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone