Archery competition begins with new rules
Jamshedpur: Archery competition opened in
the 34th National Games at the JRD Tata Sports Complex here
on Monday with the Indian round and changes made in the qualifying
and scoring system.
For the first time, the Archery Association of India
introduced two 50m events as qualifying rounds in place of 50m
and 30m distances. This changed the whole gamut of the sport.
The AAI also introduced set score system in the Olympic
round as practised in modern archery. The only old system
remaining in the competition was the 50m distance which saw
both the men`s and women`s records being improved.
Sunil Oraon of Services accumulated 337 out of 360 points
to improve upon the previous record of 322 points by Ajay
Damal of Services set at Guwahati in 2007.
Similarly, the women`s section also saw a new mark with
Anima Basumatary of Assam scoring 319 out of 360, bettering B
Lucy Devi`s 2007 mark of 312.
The two-round total of 661 by Sanjay Rai of Maharashtra
is the new mark for overall score in the men`s section and
Anima Basumatary`s 624 points is the new overall record in the
The men`s team total of 1946 by Services and women`s team
total of 1850 points by Assam will be the new records.
Konsai Borgayary of Assam will take on A Suraj Singh of
Services in the men`s gold medal contest while Rohit Singh of
Bihar and N Subhaschandra of Manipur will clash in the bronze
medal play-off tomorrow.
In the women`s section, K Prabhahimi Devi of Manipur will
clash with Jayalaxmi of Jharkhand in the gold medal contest.
Meena Kumari of Delhi will challenge Th Ishembi Devi of
Manipur in the bronze medal play-off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi