Argentina `disrespecftul`, insists Schweinsteiger
South Africa: Germany midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has opened a World Cup war of words ahead of Saturday`s quarter-final with Argentina by branding Diego Maradona`s side `disrespectful`.
"I find that the behaviour of the Argentinians on the pitch, how they gesticulate and how they try to influence the referee, is disrespectful," said the Bayern Munich midfielder on Wednesday.
Schweinsteiger was in the Germany team which beat Argentina 4-2 on penalties at Berlin`s Olympic Stadium in the quarter-finals of the 2006 World Cup when the hosts went on to finish third at the World Cup.
But he clearly remembers the ugly scenes immediately after the shoot-out with players and officials from both sides clashing on the pitch.
The Argentinians reacted angrily after German goalkeeper Jens Lehmann saved Esteban Cambiasso`s spot-kick to confirm victory.
"We all still remember sitting watching the penalties," said Germany`s vice-captain Schweinsteiger who came off in the second-half of that match.
"What I remember most is what happened after the game, this brawl which had been triggered by the Argentinians."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love