Argentina `disrespecftul`, insists Schweinsteiger
South Africa: Germany midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has opened a World Cup war of words ahead of Saturday`s quarter-final with Argentina by branding Diego Maradona`s side `disrespectful`.
"I find that the behaviour of the Argentinians on the pitch, how they gesticulate and how they try to influence the referee, is disrespectful," said the Bayern Munich midfielder on Wednesday.
Schweinsteiger was in the Germany team which beat Argentina 4-2 on penalties at Berlin`s Olympic Stadium in the quarter-finals of the 2006 World Cup when the hosts went on to finish third at the World Cup.
But he clearly remembers the ugly scenes immediately after the shoot-out with players and officials from both sides clashing on the pitch.
The Argentinians reacted angrily after German goalkeeper Jens Lehmann saved Esteban Cambiasso`s spot-kick to confirm victory.
"We all still remember sitting watching the penalties," said Germany`s vice-captain Schweinsteiger who came off in the second-half of that match.
"What I remember most is what happened after the game, this brawl which had been triggered by the Argentinians."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!