Argentina `disrespecftul`, insists Schweinsteiger
South Africa: Germany midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has opened a World Cup war of words ahead of Saturday`s quarter-final with Argentina by branding Diego Maradona`s side `disrespectful`.
"I find that the behaviour of the Argentinians on the pitch, how they gesticulate and how they try to influence the referee, is disrespectful," said the Bayern Munich midfielder on Wednesday.
Schweinsteiger was in the Germany team which beat Argentina 4-2 on penalties at Berlin`s Olympic Stadium in the quarter-finals of the 2006 World Cup when the hosts went on to finish third at the World Cup.
But he clearly remembers the ugly scenes immediately after the shoot-out with players and officials from both sides clashing on the pitch.
The Argentinians reacted angrily after German goalkeeper Jens Lehmann saved Esteban Cambiasso`s spot-kick to confirm victory.
"We all still remember sitting watching the penalties," said Germany`s vice-captain Schweinsteiger who came off in the second-half of that match.
"What I remember most is what happened after the game, this brawl which had been triggered by the Argentinians."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it