Argentina `disrespecftul`, insists Schweinsteiger
South Africa: Germany midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has opened a World Cup war of words ahead of Saturday`s quarter-final with Argentina by branding Diego Maradona`s side `disrespectful`.
"I find that the behaviour of the Argentinians on the pitch, how they gesticulate and how they try to influence the referee, is disrespectful," said the Bayern Munich midfielder on Wednesday.
Schweinsteiger was in the Germany team which beat Argentina 4-2 on penalties at Berlin`s Olympic Stadium in the quarter-finals of the 2006 World Cup when the hosts went on to finish third at the World Cup.
But he clearly remembers the ugly scenes immediately after the shoot-out with players and officials from both sides clashing on the pitch.
The Argentinians reacted angrily after German goalkeeper Jens Lehmann saved Esteban Cambiasso`s spot-kick to confirm victory.
"We all still remember sitting watching the penalties," said Germany`s vice-captain Schweinsteiger who came off in the second-half of that match.
"What I remember most is what happened after the game, this brawl which had been triggered by the Argentinians."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant