Argentina `disrespecftul`, insists Schweinsteiger
South Africa: Germany midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has opened a World Cup war of words ahead of Saturday`s quarter-final with Argentina by branding Diego Maradona`s side `disrespectful`.
"I find that the behaviour of the Argentinians on the pitch, how they gesticulate and how they try to influence the referee, is disrespectful," said the Bayern Munich midfielder on Wednesday.
Schweinsteiger was in the Germany team which beat Argentina 4-2 on penalties at Berlin`s Olympic Stadium in the quarter-finals of the 2006 World Cup when the hosts went on to finish third at the World Cup.
But he clearly remembers the ugly scenes immediately after the shoot-out with players and officials from both sides clashing on the pitch.
The Argentinians reacted angrily after German goalkeeper Jens Lehmann saved Esteban Cambiasso`s spot-kick to confirm victory.
"We all still remember sitting watching the penalties," said Germany`s vice-captain Schweinsteiger who came off in the second-half of that match.
"What I remember most is what happened after the game, this brawl which had been triggered by the Argentinians."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days