Argentina into women`s hockey final after appeal
Amsterdam: In a stunning development overnight, Argentina have been given a place in the final of the women`s Champions Trophy field hockey in Amsterdam on Sunday, replacing South Korea.
The Koreans had taken second place in the semi-final pool with four points, the same as Argentina, but with more goals scored in the semi-final pool round.
Argentina appealed to tournament director Stephanie Martens-Hodges on Saturday night arguing that the standings in the semi-final pool were wrong as Argentina should be allowed to include the total points for all matches played in the tournament, and not just the points from matches in the semifinal pool.
Korea won only one match in the tournament, and Argentina three.
Martens-Hodges rejected the appeal and Argentina sought a hearing before a jury.
The jury then upheld the appeal, based on their understanding of the tournament regulations.
The jury included the seven points from the preliminary round of Argentina and three points from the semi-final pool for a total of 10 points for the South Americans.
South Korea had three points from the preliminary round and three points from the semi-final round.
Therefore the jury concluded that Argentina should be ranked second in the semi-final pool and play Netherlands in the final.
South Korea will play New Zealand for the bronze medal also on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why