Argentina`s Racing appoint Vivas as coach
Buenos Aires: Former Argentina assistant coach Claudio Vivas was appointed to the Racing Club job German Lothar Matthaeus turned down last week.
Vivas, who worked under present Chile coach Marcelo Bielsa when he was in charge of Argentina from 1998 to 2004, agreed on a 14-month, Racing said on their website.
His task is to try to prevent Racing, one of Argentina`s "Big Five", from being relegated for the second time since 1983.
Vivas takes over from caretaker Juan Barbas, who took charge for four matches after Ricardo Caruso Lombardi resigned. Counting Barbas, Vivas is Racing`s 20th coach since 2000.
Racing are two from bottom of the Apertura championship table with eight points from 12 matches following their first victory, 4-0 at home to Atletico Tucuman on Saturday.
They are also low in the relegation table which is based on teams` average position over three seasons -- a system introduced in 1984 after Racing`s relegation to try prevent big clubs dropping out of the top flight after a poor year.
World club champions in 1967, Racing have won the league title seven times but only once since 1966 when they did so under Reinaldo Merlo in 2001.
Racing had hoped to inject the team with former German captain Matthaeus`s fire before he turned them down over money issues.
They said they liked the project presented by Vivas, whose club experience has also largely been as Bielsa`s right hand man at Mexican clubs Atlas and America, Velez Sarsfield, with whom the pair won the Argentine title in 1998, and Espanyol in Spain.
More recently, Vivas was in charge of Argentinos Juniors in the second half of last season but resigned in May after only two wins in 15 matches, although his ground work was recognised as having been very good.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui