Argentine Aguero says has joined Manchester City
Buenos Aires: Argentina forward Sergio Aguero has completed his move to big-spending Manchester City from Atletico Madrid, he said on his Twitter feed.
"Now I am a City player," Aguero, who is known as "Kun" after a Japanese cartoon character, said on the feed, which can be reached via a link on his official website.
"Happy to be at this club and in this city," added the 23-year-old. "Thank you to everyone for the welcome and the reception."
A separate statement posted on his website later on Wednesday said he had passed a medical and signed his contract.
One of the most sought-after forwards in world soccer, Aguero announced at the end of May he wanted to leave Atletico, who unlike City missed out on a place on next season`s Champions League, Europe`s elite club competition.
Spanish media reported the English Premier League side had agreed to pay 45 million euros (40 million pounds) to secure his services and he is expected to replace unsettled compatriot Carlos Tevez.
Juventus had also been chasing Aguero, who upstaged team mate Lionel Messi of Barcelona at the Copa America by scoring three times in four games.
He was one of the few bright spots for the hosts, who bowed out at the quarter-final stage after a penalty shootout defeat to eventual champions Uruguay.
Married to one of Diego Maradona`s daughters, Aguero has spent five seasons at Atletico, where he won the Europa League in 2009-10.
He was raised at Independiente where he made his professional debut as a 15-year-old.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video