Argentine federation head defends Messi
Buenos Aires: The head of Argentina`s Football Association (AFA), Julio Grondona, on Sunday praised striker Lionel Messi, but criticised his squadmates in the wake of their disappointing opening Copa America draw with Bolivia.
Messi has often been criticised in his homeland for failing to show his superlative Barcelona form in the national side and the media even question his loyalty to a country which he left for Catalonia as a young teen.
But Grondona told a radio channel: "Messi always plays well, never badly - which is what the others around him were doing."
Coach Sergio Batista had sent out an attacking side to beat the Bolivians but Messi and strike partner Carlos Tevez drew a blank and it was left to sub Sergio Aguero to rescue a point at La Plata.
For Grondona, Messi was forced to forage too deep.
"As the ball did not get through to Messi he had to drop back to pick it up," Grondona complained.
But he also noted that it is "difficult to start off against a team which has nothing to lose."
Now Argentina have to chase down early Group A leaders Colombia, whom they meet on Wednesday in Santa Fe before going up against special guests Costa Rica.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days