Argentine title winner Borghi named new Boca coach
Buenos Aires: Claudio Borghi was handed the task of returning Boca Juniors to the top of Argentine soccer, five days after steering Argentinos Juniors to the Clausura title.
Borghi, who was part of the Argentina squad that won the 1986 World Cup, signed a one year contract to coach the fallen giants, four times South American champions since 2000.
"At Boca, there`s a thin line between what`s good and what`s bad, so Boca will be a big challenge," the 45-year-old told a news conference at his official presentation at the Bombonera (chocolate box) stadium.
"The only objective here, as in all big clubs, is to be champions," said Borghi, who steered Colo Colo to four successive Chilean titles before taking charge at his former club Argentinos in January.
"It shows this is Boca, at Argentinos there were two or three journalists," added Borghi with a grin.
"We as a coaching staff feel very proud to be at this club with so much history at national and international level."
Borghi said he has discussed reinforcements with Boca president Amor Ameal and said midfielder Matias Fernandez who is going to the World Cup with Chile and is unsettled at Sporting in Portugal is a potential target.
"Matias is a player I know well, we had him at Colo Colo, he was sold to the `Yellow Submarine` (Villarreal), hes an Argentine naturalised Chilean so he won`t fill a foreigner`s berth (in the squad)," said Borghi.
Boca finished the Clausura last weekend in 16th place with 20 points from 19 matches and the worst defence having conceded 35 goals.
"I don’t want to be rude to the coaches who were here before me and I believe theres a bit of balance lacking," said Borghi.
He is the latest signing as Argentinas big clubs attempt to pull out of a slump. Bocas arch-rivals River Plate hired Angel Cappa last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy