Army to hold Kargil war victory celebrations Wednesday
Drass (Kashmir): The Indian Army will mark the 13th anniversary of its victory in the 1999 Kargil war with a series of events, spread over the next two days, at the war memorial in Drass sub-sector of Kargil region in Jammu and Kashmir.
The two-day commemoration - which begins tomorrow - will include a wreath laying ceremony at the war memorial, sainik samelan (soldiers meet), memorial service and band display.
The popular musical trio Shankar, Ehsaan and Loy will also perform a stage show as part of the anniversary commemoration, army officials in charge of organising the events here said.
Kargil war, which began in May 1999, lasted for more than two months before Pakistani soldiers, a bulk of them drawn from its Northern Light Infantry, and irregulars withdrew from the mountain tops they had occupied overlooking the Srinagar-Leh highway.
In the battles with the Pakistani forces and irregulars, the Indian Army lost 490 officers, soldiers and jawans, many of whom were posthumously felicitated with gallantry awards.
Drass War Memorial, which has been built in the foothills of Tololing Hill, will host most of the ceremonies scheduled for the next two days.
General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Army`s Northern Command Lt Gen K T Parnaik and MP Naveen Jindal will be the chief guests at the anniversary events.
Widows and relatives of the soldiers who lost their lives in Kargil, Mushkok, Batalik and Drass will also be present at the events, army officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof