Arsenal beat Celtic to lift pre-season Emirates Cup
London: Arsenal edged out Celtic 3-2 to win the Emirates Cup friendly tournament on Sunday after Olympique Lyon and AC Milan had settled for a 1-1 draw.
Goals from Carlos Vela, Bacary Sagna and Samir Nasri were enough for the English Premier League side to beat their Scottish counterparts, who replied through Daryl Murphy and Ki Sung-yueng.
Victory put Arsenal top of the table on eight points with France`s Lyon and Celtic on five and Serie A side AC Milan on four.
The annual pre-season tournament, held at Arsenal`s Emirates Stadium, awards one point for each goal scored as well as three for a win and one for a draw.
Arsenal forward Vela poked home after just three minutes and the hosts doubled their lead on the stroke of halftime through Sagna`s powerful low drive from outside the area.
Slack defending allowed French midfielder Nasri to stroke in a third after 51 minutes, before Celtic threatened a comeback.
Greece striker Georgios Samaras missed a penalty and then Murphy and Sung-yueng netted late on.
Earlier, Milan and Lyon played out an entertaining 1-1 draw. The Italian club took an early lead through Marco Borriello only for Lyon`s new signing Jimmy Briand to equalise with a far post header after the break.
On Saturday, last season`s Ligue 1 runners-up, Lyon, had looked on course for victory against Celtic after goals from Michel Bastos and Harry Novillo, but the Scottish side hit back with late strikes from new frontman Gary Hooper and Samaras.
In Saturday`s other match, new signing Marouane Chamakh announced himself to the Arsenal fans with his first goal on 36 minutes against AC Milan. The Londoners were pegged back by Brazilian striker Alexandre Pato 13 minutes from time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy