As border issue hots up, India looks up to China in WTO
New Delhi: Notwithstanding reports of tension along the Indo-China border, the two neighbouring countries need to move hand-in-hand at WTO to
protect interest of over 100 developing nations in the Doha trade negotiations, sources said.
"China is a critical player and will hold the balance of power. India needs to align with them," a highly placed official said after a week of serious negotiations which resumed at the WTO headquarters after a gap of 14 months.
While India, Brazil and South Africa have played a leadership role for developing countries in navigating the global trade negotiations, China has so far maintained a low profile despite its growing economic prowess.
"China has not taken any specific position...but the developing countries need to court Beijing for striking a good deal and ensuring a market access for them without opening the floodgates for the rich nations," he said.
Amidst reports of Chinese incursions into the Indian territory, the government has asked media to exercise restraint and not play up the issue.
The Indian negotiating team in Geneva, led by Additional Secretary D K Mittal, had a couple of bilateral meetings with the Chinese counterparts to strengthen the alliance of the developing countries against the US and the EU, which are expected to increase pressure for market access in the emerging economies, a source said.
Doha talks in Geneva resumed following meeting of key ministers at New Delhi on September 3-4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS