As many as 27 top cricketers ‘fixed’ matches in IPL-2: I-T
New Delhi/ Mumbai: The Indian Premier League hit another low on Friday after a special report prepared by I-T department exposed top cricketers and organizers of the cash rich league’s involvement in fixing the result of the matches played.
Shockingly, those involved in fixing the matches are superstars of Indian cricket and even an international player, who is a captain of one of the teams, according to a top official in Delhi who is part of the I-T team investigating the alleged IPL scam.
As many as 27 top cricketers’ role is being probed in connection with the betting-fixing racket, news channels reported claiming a top I-T officer.
In fact the role played by franchises owners have also been under serious scrutiny as I-T looked for more proofs around different franchises offices.
Probably in a worst of its kind in cricketing history, senior and junior cricketers playing in rival teams jointly fixed the outcome of matches, the official said.
Investigating teams from I-T and the Enforcement Directorate are analysing phone records of some of the franchises after match-fixing speculations. Investigators are checking the phone records of several personalities who had access to VIP enclosures during IPL matches.
One name which is mentioned prominently in the I-T report is of Samir Thukral, who, according to the report, "has an opulent lifestyle despite having no apparent source of income" and "carries out the betting on behalf of Lalit Modi where insider information as well as outcome fixing are hinted at".
"Lalit Modi is apparently deeply embroiled in both generation of black money, money laundering, betting in cricket (match fixing of certain IPL matches)," the report said.
The Indian cricket board (BCCI), which owns the IPL, has called a meeting of the tournament`s governing council on Monday to discuss what the media says is the biggest crisis in the sport since a match-fixing scandal of 2000.
Modi, fearing the axe from his own tournament, on Thursday said he would not attend the meeting, saying it was unauthorised and that he wanted a further five days to reply to the charges levelled against the league.
"If the meeting does go ahead on 26th April instead of 1st of May as I have asked, it will... be unofficial," Modi wrote to the BCCI in an e-mail that was made public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM