ASEAN to study free trade pact: Officials
Hua Hin (Thailand): East Asian nations are to carry out a feasibility study for a huge free trade zone, officials said at a summit Saturday, as the region tries to sustain its rebound from the global crunch.
Leaders of the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), plus regional partners China, Japan and South Korea, would discuss details of the study at meetings in the Thai beach resort of Hua Hin, they said.
A separate study for a wider economic partnership also covering India, Australia and New Zealand would also be carried out in tandem, the officials said.
"We`re going to do this two-pronged, meaning in parallel," Vitavas Srivihok, director general for ASEAN affairs at the Thai foreign ministry, told AFP.
"Right now we (ASEAN) have bilateral free trade agreements with all six countries completely. Now we should explore a feasibility study both in the East Asia Free Trade Area and with (India, Australia and New Zealand)," he said.
Asia`s quick rebound from the global recession compared with the United States and other Western economies has prompted calls for the region to increase integration.
Japan`s new Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama has made a proposal for an East Asian community and said in a newspaper interview published Saturday that it should aspire to lead the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting begins - Who will win BJP or Shiv Sena?
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: BJP's Rita Padole, Ravi Landge win from Amravati and Pimpri Chinchwad seats