Ashutosh, Ankita national grasscourt champions
Kolkata: Qualifier Ashutosh Singh of Delhi and wild card Ankita Raina of Gujarat emerged winners at the Vishwarupa Tubes National Grasscourt Tennis Championship at Calcutta South Club.
Down in the first set, Ashutosh made a terrific comeback to upset fifth seed P C Vignesh of Andhra Pradesh 0-6, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2 to win the men`s singles title.
In the women`s singles final, Ankita got the better of Karnataka`s Sheethal Goutham, seeded fourth, 7-6 (7-2), 6-2.
Tamil Nadu duo of Vijay Sundar Prashanth and Mithun Murali bagged the men`s doubles title upsetting top seeded Delhi pair of Divij Sharan and Vivek Shokeen in a keenly fought encounter 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 11-9 that lasted 107 minutes and played over two days after yesterday`s game was stopped due to bad light.
City girls Shivika Burman and Treta Bhattacharyya annexed the women`s doubles title after beating Sheethal and Sweta Solanki of Delhi 7-6 (7-2), 1-6, 10-7 in the final.
Down 0-6 in the first set, Ashutosh fought back in the second set. Both players held on to their serves with the set moving to tie-breaker which the Delhi lad took 7-3.
In the decider, Ashutosh broke Vignesh in the fourth and eighth games to clinch the issue 0-6, 7-6(7-3), 6-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam