Ashwin Sundar steals limelight
Chennai: Local lad and international driver, Ashwin Sundar stole the limelight finishing at the top in two races in the first leg of MRF Formula 1600cc class here on Sunday.
Sundar had a feeling of the super-powered vehicle, being introduced in India for the first time, in quick time yesterday when he finished for top position.
In the actual races today, 20-year-old Sundar ruled the roost and exhibited his skills making everyone sit up.
Once he achieved a commendable lead, Sundar went on to set best lap timing of one min 40.875 seconds, which was two seconds better than his qualifying timing that helped him on the pole.
India’s top rider Dilip Rogger was equally good in his underpowered 2006 Honda CBR, which was far slower than the “Triumph Bike” saddled by Welsh champion, David Jones.
Riding the most powerful bike amongst the two wheelers on view today, Jones was at his own best in winning back-to-back titles.
On the other hand, Rogger’s performance was no inferior to Jones as the Indian, given the fact that his car was far too slow, managed to top the races for Indian category class.
Sailesh Boliseti of Visakhapatnam also came up with success in garnering a twin-win in the cc-to-weight class of the Touring Car category.
In the 165 cc event, Veteran Sriskandarajah claimed the honours, while K Umesh Babu in Group B (2-stroke) became the champion.
Two more weekend racing events are slated to be held here on Feb 6 and 7 and Feb 13 and 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown