`Asia becoming the new centre of global economy`
Istanbul: With the Asian economies doing relatively well even in the times of global recession, HSBC chairman Stephen Green termed Asia as the new focal point of global economy.
In an interview with the BBC, Green said, "Two-thirds of our business is in Asia. It`s where we think the centre of gravity of the world`s economy is shifting," he said. The statement assumes significance in view of the fact that last month; HSBC announced that its chief executive Michael Geoghan would move to Hong Kong from London.
Green, however, played down the development saying that the bank`s decision did not mean it was turning its back on London. He also said that London was secure as a major financial centre, but would lose market share as Asia developed.
Talking about recession, the HSBC chief said that the entire banking industry "owes the real world an apology," adding, “"It also owes the real world a commitment to learn the lessons. Some of them are about governance and ethics and culture within the industry," he said.
"You can`t do all this simply by rules and regulations." He also called for a change in culture to improve people’s perception of bankers. Green, who was in Istanbul for the annual meetings of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund, didn’t advocate tighter regulations for the banks saying that they (banks) would themselves learn from the crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends