Asiad medallists Merchant, Mehta get cash awards
Mumbai: Cueists Aditya Mehta and Yasin Merchant have been presented cash awards by the Maharashtra Government for finishing among the medal winners in the November 12-27 Guangzhou Asian Games.
Also getting recognised for his role in the shaping of the Indian squad was coach Sanjay Sawant, a media release said here on Monday.
While 25-year-old Mehta got Rs 12.5 lakh for picking up a team silver and an individual bronze in snooker, former Asian champion Merchant pocketed Rs 7.5 lakh for being part of the silver medal winning team that was completed by Brijesh Damani. Sawant got Rs 1.5 lakh.
These cash awards were given away last week at Pune` Shiv Chatrapati Sports Complex, it said.
The Billiards and Snooker Association of Maharashtra had written to the Government to pave way for the honours, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert