Aslam against Dow`s association with London Games
Bhopal: Former Hockey Olympian Aslam Sher Khan said he would write to the Indian Olympic Association and the Union Sports Ministry urging them to convince the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (LOCOG) to cancel the deal for Dow Chemicals sponsoring the seven million pound artwork "wrap" around the main stadium for the 2012 London Olympics.
The former Hockey Olympian said that Dow Chemicals had taken over Union Carbide at whose Bhopal plant the world`s worst industrial disaster had taken place in December 1984 following leakage of lethal Methyl Iso Cyanate gas.
Aslam said the disaster had led to the loss of around 15,000 lives and left injured around six lakh people and added that under the circumstances Dow Chemicals should not be associated with the Olympics.
He said the feelings of the people of Bhopal would be hurt if Dow Chemicals was allowed to be associated with the Olympics in any manner.
The former Olympian said if the LOCOG carries out the deal with Dow Chemicals, we will ask the government to boycott the 2012 Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what