Assam CM files nomination papers
Titabor (Assam): Assam Chief Minister
Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday filed his nomination for the Titabor
Assembly constituency under Jorhat district.
Accompanied by his wife Dolly Gogoi and son Gaurav
Gogoi, a relaxed and smiling CM filed three sets of nomination
before the Returning Officer and SDO (Civil) Debo Kalita.
Exuding confidence Gogoi told reporters after filing
his papers that the Congress will come to power for the third
successive term with a clear majority.
"We will sweep the polls and form the government.
There is no doubt about it," he said.
The chief minister further added that the contest in
the forthcoming polls would be primarily between the
Congress, Asom Gana Parishad and the BJP.
Asked about the ULFA threat to the Congress, Gogoi
said, the "ULFA was not a factor at all and their threats
will not affect us".
On the dissidence in the party by members who have
been denied tickets, he said there was "no dissidence and
those denied tickets have been given other charges. All are
actively involved in campaigning and other related works".
Gogoi and his wife offered prayers at the Atkheliya
Namghar in neighbouring Golaghat district before setting off
to file the nomination.
He has been representing Titabor for the last two
Assembly terms. It was earlier represented by his younger
brother Dip Gogoi who vacated the seat for him after Gogoi led
the Congress to a thumping victory in 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed