Assange a `political actor`, not journalist: US
Washington: WikiLeaks boss Julian Assange is a "political actor" determined to undermine international diplomacy by jeopardising efforts to resolve problems across the world, the US State Department said.
"He`s not a journalist. He`s not a whistleblower," State Department spokesman PJ Crowley said on Thursday. "He is a political actor. He has a political agenda."
"He is trying to undermine the international system that enables us to cooperate and collaborate with other governments and to work in multilateral settings and on a bilateral basis to help solve regional and international issues," Crowley added.
WikiLeaks is in the process of publishing more than 250,000 secret US diplomatic cables mostly focused on interactions with other countries over the last several years. The US has sharply condemned WikiLeaks, which describes itself as dedicated to exposing government secrets, for releasing the documents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Rupee recovers 7 paise to 67.11 vs USD
- Hyundai Tucson to get 2.0-l petrol engine; no 1.6-l diesel
- Teaser of Aishwarya Rai, Ranbir Kapoor's ‘Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’ is out and it is insanely entertaining!
- Victoria decides to ban fracking and coal seam gas exploration permanently
- Blast at Chinese embassy in Kyrgyzstan; one dead, three wounded