Assassination bid on Modi by LeT: Central security agencies
New Delhi, Dec 23: Central security agencies have warned of an assassination attempt on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi by terror groups like Lashker-e-Taiba (LeT) and asked the state government to further tighten his security.
Official sources said intelligence inputs, both technical and human, suggested that militants were planning to carry out a suicide attack on Modi, who already enjoys the highest category of security, especially after he demanded the execution of the death sentence against Parliament attack convict Mohammed Afzal.
Central security agencies sent a communique to the state government saying terrorists were planning to target Modi at a public gathering and local authorities had been asked to keep a thorough vigilance on all those meetings.
Modi, who led BJP to a record-breaking win in Gujarat assembly elections, will be sworn in on December 27.
An advance security check has been made mandatory for the police wherever Modi would be visiting, the sources said.
Modi is today one of those political leaders in the country who faces the maximum threat perception. The Centre has provided him with elite commandos of National Security Guard and the state government has its own state commando force, specially trained for this purpose.
An additional high-frequency "jammer" vehicle is likely to be added to Modi's carcade, a measure taken to block Improvised Explosive Device of almost all frequencies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore