Atanu Lahiri pulls off upset in SCS International Open chess
Bhubaneswar: Indian IM Atanu Lahiri pulled off a big upset when he got the better of Russian Grand Master Roman Ovetchkin in the fifth round of the SCS International Open GM Chess Tournament.
Lahiri, who have four points in the kitty, is now sharing the third place with 16 others, including 10 Grand Masters.
Meanwhile, Russian GM Maxim Turov convincingly defeated Uzbek GM Marat Dzhumaev to emerge as the sole leader.
After the fifth round, second seed Turov has five points in the kitty while he is followed by six contenders – Aleksej Aleksandrov, Sergey Kasparov (both Belarus), Anton Kovalyov (Argentina), Attila Czebe (Hungary), Alexandr Fier (Brazil) and Martyn Kravtsiv (Ukraine) - with 4.5 points each.
IM Swayangsu Satyapragyan, WGM elect Kiran M Mohanty and WIM Padmini Rout kept their challenges alive by creditably drawing with GM Dmitry Bocharov (Russia), GM Sundararajan Kidambi (India) and IM Ashwin Jayaram (India) respectively.
Among other Indians, IM Debasish Das and Anwesh Upadhyaya (3.5 points each) won over CM Prince Bajaj and Vikramjit Singh respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video